Shaping sustainable economies is the fundamental challenge of our time. Facing it, however, requires outstanding leadership, new means of communication and innovative collaborations across borders, sectors and mindsets. For a full description of the project, its initiatives and partners, please see the brochure
When the US chose to go to the Moon, when Asia laid the foundation for the Four Tigers and when Europe formed a union of national states, our leaders understood that in order for society to reach ambitious goals, we must innovate the way we address our crisis, we must seek new alliances and project visions of the future that are appealing to the broader public.
This is the founding idea of The Green Growth Leaders (GGL), a global alliance of cities, regions, countries and corporations, sharing a vision of building prosperous, green economies and communities -and a better tomorrow for their citizens.
GGL represents the world’s leading green growth economies and is fronted by a council.
Drawing on the unique expertise of its 30-35 members from policy, science, civil society and business, the council will:
- Share and discuss best and next practice of green growth
- Identify and map green growth initiatives and frontiers across the world
- Match technology providers, innovators and investors with leading green cities, regions and countries
- Advise and influence political institutions and assist them in developing frameworks
- Communicate the benefits of green growth to the public in order to reignite the green agenda
Following the footsteps of the Copenhagen Climate Council, which gained significant influence on the global green agenda 2007-2009, the Green Growth Council is an independent initiative, founded by Scandinavian think tank Monday Morning, City of Copenhagen, DONG Energy and Realdania and was launched on September 29th 2010 in Copenhagen, Denmark.